Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Internet Safety

I decided to read the article “Mixed Signals” from the June 2001 New Era. This was an interesting article and it had lots of good ideas to help your family keep safe from the internet. One of my favorite things it said was that you are in control you can keep yourself save on the internet. Another thing I liked was that discussing with your children different things like don’t trust everything you read and different internet rules in your house will help keep you as well as them safe.

I learned that the internet can be both beneficial as well as dangerous. One of the biggest things we should do is make our students and family aware of these dangers. This is one of the preventive measures we can do, as well as get a filter for our internet, put our computers in a public place and educate ourselves on as much as possible about how to prevent the dangerous of the internet in our homes.

What I have read in these articles will influence me because I will use the preventive measures learned to help educate my students on what they can do to prevent themselves from getting into trouble on the internet. I will make sure every student understands the dangers and knows how to make sure they don’t run into them. This may include teaching children to never share personal information and to always be on the internet for a specific purpose and not aimlessly searching.

I can use what I have learned from reading these articles by talking with my family and friends and teaching the about them preventive measures they can take to protect their family from the dangers of the internet. Some of these will include putting your computer in a public place, talking to your students or children about these dangers and making them aware of not to go on them. This has helped me realize that we need to also have meetings with our families and make good choices ourselves so that we can set a good example for them that they can learn from. We also need to take the time to watch good appropriate shows with our children so that we can discuss how to make choices that will help them rather than hurt them.

No comments: